Status...

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Battle Reenactors

So I officially love battle reenactors. They are just a ton of fun to work with. And it was great to meet them, because it's just cool to get to talk to people doing something they enjoy. These men definitely loved every moment of it, too.

I went to the Historic Saratoga Battlefield with two friends, Brendan and Sophia (Hammie). It was so much fun to have them with me. Brendan was acting as my photo assistant, and Sophia was there for her own art. This was for the Plein Arts Festival, where the park was opened up for free for all artists. Soooooo cool. <3 They do another in October, I cannot wait.

Anyways... back on topic...

So we were working with the reenactors, and they were just hamming it up for the camera. They were literally willing to do anything. And when I say anything, I mean anything. So when I asked them when/if they were going to be firing the muskets, they asked if I'd like them to do it then and there.

Well... YEAH!!! So, myself and my friends got a private performance pretty much. There were a few other people (including another photographer who I'll go into detail about in a bit), but they did it because I asked. And it wasn't just one shot, it was three. Three shots, just for us.

But that wasn't the only cool thing. After that, they asked if I'd like to see and shoot a bayonet charge. Well, I'm up for anything so I said why not. Not only did I get to shoot a bayonet charge, I got to stand in front of the charge and shoot it while jogging backwards. TOO COOL. That was one of the most awesome things I have EVER done. EVER. I would do it again. No... I plan on doing it again.

Anyways, on that other photographer. He looked like he knew what he was doing. Had a beautiful Telephoto (looked like a 300mm) L-Series lens on his camera, and a good vest for holding photo-y stuff. But, as we all know, looks can be decieving. Not only did he never engage the reenactors, but he never once took out a flash or reflector to battle the raccoon eyes. And he was so close, that I had to wonder... was he just getting face shots? Because I had to back up a lot farther than he was with a 150mm lens... :\ Who knows. Anyways, he was about to leave until I started shooting... and then he lingered and shot some more as I set them up. x'D I think he was a bit jealous of my people skills. lol And the Mamiya. ROFL So I've definitely seen a bit of my amateur competition. They have the money for lenses (lucky bastards), but they lack the knowledge. Shame.

Anyways, here are some photos. I wish I hadn't forgotten my 80mm lens. >.<


Sir Redcoat by *Saknika on deviantART


The British are Coming by *Saknika on deviantART


Bayonet Charge by *Saknika on deviantART


Waiting for the Smoke to Clear by *Saknika on deviantART


And I am totally not done with all the editing yet. Those were just my personal four favourite. x3

No comments: