Status...

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Cultural Background

So for John Nordell's class on Wednesday, we need to bring in an object that represents our cultural background. Lemme tell ya, this was not an easy decision in the least. I had to sit down and brainstorm with my parents on it.

You see, I'm Native American, Italian, Canadian-French, Irish or Scottish (not sure which), German, and Dutch. From what we know. So for my cultural background... it was kind of like, what do I pick? We came up with some funny ones though.

My original thought was to bring a gun in. But... that probably wouldn't fly too well. But both the Native Americans and French-Canadian sides were hunter and gatherers; not to mention that my Dad's side of the family are hunters, and I did try once. And if there is a side of the family that I follow closely, it's my Dad's.

We also joked that I could have had grandma bake lasagna for me, since she is pure blooded Italian. And man does she love to cook. But that wasn't feasible because a friend of the family passed away Friday evening from MS, so she's busy with that.

Mom tossed out that I should just wear a swastika. That had us laughing, and somehow we said I could get a blonde wig and some blue contacts as well. But nah, not going to happen.

Of course, then we just got more silly, and I said I'd bring Jack, our puppy. And when asked why, I'd say, "Well, he's a mutt, just like me!" Which then Dad said I could bring some Heinz ketchup, I'm a Heinz Variety baby! Haha

I think the silliest though, was to bring a gravestone (which, I could do >.>) because all my ancestors are dead. This one had us laughing.

But really it was hard, because this object had to represent me in a way. I half wish that there were gypsies in our past because then it would have been easy, and I could have just brought my tarot cards in. But life can't be that simple.

What I would have loved to represent was the mafia, since I have relatives who are a part of it.

Or the black book of one of my cousins who was accused of being in league with the devil, since I've had much the same before.

I even considered my Mom's family's coat of arms... but we only have the plate used to make it, and I can't translate it for crap anymore. That, and it doesn't interest me as much. And as I said above, I'm much more like my father's side.

But in the end I settled on the deer hide that I tanned myself. I still have to do a little work on it, but hey, it'll keep me busy after class tomorrow. No sweat. I would have brought my dream catcher instead... but I didn't feel like getting it down off my ceiling. It's easier to bring the deer hide, even if I have to put some finishing touches on it. And there is a better story behind it, I think.

If only I were Japanese... then it would have been easy. x'D

No comments: