Status...

Friday, September 7, 2007

And We’re off to "Camp" Hallmark!

Today for school we had more orientation. More boresville. :P But, I missed the very beginning, along with maybe six others, because we all ran and checked in at 8:59am.... one minute before we'd have been tardy and locked out. :XD: Oops, our bad. Effin' traffic. I really hate traffic.

Then, we learned about our camera after lunch. We are using a Mamiya 645 AFDII, complete with a 22 megapixel Leaf digital back. The Mamiya is mine to keep... the digital back will cost upwards of $10,000... lol BUT TWENTY-TWO EFFIN' MEGAPIXELS!?!?!?! That's a 30x40 print folks!! Hard to pass up. Especially when you are on student discount! O_O We're also getting two lenses, one an 80mm f/2.8, and the other a 150mm f/3.5; both AF. Which is great. And if you don't understand the terms, just trust me when I say it's really good photo equipment. :XD: Then, there is a light meter, carrying pack, and tripod we also get. All for $4,870.95. Thank you studen discounts, or it'd be closer to $9,000 or $10,000!

After that, we went to Camp Hallmark to shoot with trial cameras, since ours need to be ordered (and will be here Monday :D). Let me tell you... this was NOT a camp. I'll get to that later.

First off, the shooting.

It was entertaining. I climbed a tree... literally climbed a tree, and sat in it to pose. Had to climb, because the stubs or branches were so high. But I enjoyed it, even if I did come out with scrapes, pinepitch, and bruises. :XD: It was so worth it! :D We also got to chat and work with our instructors, which was very fun. There is this one man, Michael Zide, who was just hilarious. He really knows how to engage people to get them to enjoy modeling. The whole "Work it, wooooork it!!!!" kind of approach, without... you know... looking like a total idiot. :XD: :lmao: He really is a riot though. I think he'll end up being one of my favourites.

We had a BBQ as well, but due to my stomach I couldn't eat anything. So I just sat and chatted.

And I guess I have the air of a model, because a lot of people asked me to pose for them. Which I loved. I enjoy modeling just as much as I enjoy taking the photos. :D

It was very successful.

Now... on to why this so ISN'T a camp. :rofl:

To start with... the "dirt" road the majority had issues with is far better maintained then some of the main roads here. If anyone knows what I mean when I say it's better than the middle section of Jockey Street, then that'll give you an idea. It was really sad though, because there is this gradual little dip in the road... that people practically came to a complete halt for. COMPLETE HALT! :lmao:

There were also corn fields off to the side. Hello, farm country! :XD:

But the "camp" itself... oh man... >w<

To begin with, it's a day camp for kids. Lots of cabins, lots of pavilions, little to no real woodsy areas.

Then, there is the fact that there was electricity, running water, cell phone service, and internet. Probably cable too.

There were no real steep hills or mountains, so hiking, true hiking, was totally out.

But the best part was this...

Please make sure you are sitting...

You're sitting, right?

THEY HAD A POOL! A FREAKIN' IN-GROUND POOL! :rofl:

And natives were telling me that as a small town girl I could "appreciate this" and that yes, "it really is a camp in the middle of nowhere". Let me tell you, it's a good thing I drove myself because I'd have felt bad to laugh in front of them. :XD: Seriously hilarious. I can't wait to bring home someone to see just why I laugh at all this stuff.

Too funny.

But yes, that was my lovely second day at Hallmark. Whoot! :w00t:

And I'm happy to say that the homesickness is starting to disappear! :dance:

No comments: