Status...

Monday, December 3, 2007

White-Knuckle Driving

So it was pretty much white-knuckle driving to get back to my apartment, because I ended up driving through one hell of an icey snow storm. For the first bit of the journey, none of the roads were plowed. So I was going through a good three inches of snow, and it was sleeting. Not. Cool.

You'd think that the highway would be plowed... nope, that wasn't the case. So when you're on the highway and the top speed you can comfortably do is 40mph... things get rough. It was a nasty, slippery mess out there.

When I got down I-90E a bit though, there was some plowing and salting going on, so the roads weren't as bad. But they still sucked, and visibility was still shit. However, we could get up to 65mph, sometimes 70mph when we were really lucky.

Thankfully, I was doing this late at night so there wasn't a lot of traffic. A lot of traffic really would have killed me. Nope, I started around midnight.

Should have started around 3pm before the shity weather hit... but oops...>.>

So anyways, truckers were my savior because if you followed them, you had a bit of an easier drive. I did make the mistake of trying to pass one, and as I got around his spray of whiteness... there was a slow-moving car right there. I locked my arms and hit the brakes. All I could do was pray I didn't spin out, and that I didn't hit them.

We both turned out okay.

There were a few times I came close to losing control of the vehicle too, but thanks to neutral I was good. You really do remember the oddest things in those situations, lemme tell ya.

You could tell when you crossed into Massachusetts though, because the highway went right back to shit. But of course, it is Massachusetts, so I'm not surprised. When I got onto I-91N... it hadn't been plowed once, or salted.

Yeah, time to pick up the pace Massachusetts! You're slacking!

I could understand that Greenfield really hadn't been touched though. My main concern later at night would also be highways. But it honestly seems like they just didn't give a shit and no one is going to plow until morning. I've yet to hear one go by.

But anyways, I just got in not too long ago. Maybe a half an hour? Still, that stupid storm made my nice 2.5 hour trip into 4.5 hours! >.< I only made one pit-stop, in Lee Massachusetts, because I had to pee and I needed gas pretty badly.

I am so glad to be home.

No comments: